Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
- Single charge / individual item: £9
- 3-month prepayment certificate (no change): £29.10
- 12-month prepayment certificate (no change): £104.00
Wigs and fabric supports:
- Surgical bra: £29.50
- Abdominal or spinal support: £44.55
- Stock modacrylic wig: £44.55
- Partial human hair wig: £192.85
- Full bespoke human hair wig: £282
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website